A friend of mine and I started a ministry to help foster families and we were recently asked to represent at an event with a booth and a game for kids as the come around. We have our prizes for trying and hand major prize for winning but winning...well...we made it a little difficult. This game was attractive and fun and the kids loved it.
It was simple to make and I'll walk you through it.
I posted a really great bookshelf for the boys room. The instructions were SO easy that I thought I'd give it a go with barn wood I rescued to use in Jake's room. I figured his bed would be next but I suppose I was feeling too ambitious with that thought so a simple bookshelf would have to do.
So, you can see it was obviously a success. I was able to put an arm load of books on the shelf for him to read, right at his level. James said he'd have them all over the floor and using the shelf as a step to the window. He's probably right but for now it is featuring some of our favorite books.
P.S. See the boxes that are stacked and one of them says "Toys". That was one of my favorite projects that I still haven't shown you. I love them! they hide those plastic bins and give them such great personality. The bottom one is supposed to have a race car on it but I'm slacking.
To see how these shelves are made, visit here and follow the link provided.
I have had a "cornice board" of sorts envisioned for Jake's room for a LOOOONG time. I was thinking a couple of boards nailed together with some of the old barn wood from Papaw's old barn that fell in would be all that I needed. DH did better than that. He incorporated the hinges from a few barn doors that were long gone and this is how he did it...
He cut the long board into 3 sections making the side boards come together neatly in the corners and added "L" brackets.
He added the hinges to another board and piloted the holes for the board it would hang from, the one that will be attached to the wall.
We leveled the "cornice board and marked where the wholes would be for the "L" brackets. Because this is a window with a header there was no need for anchors, just long screws were used. The "L" brackets were removed from the "cornice board" and attached to the wall. The board and the "L" brackets were attached together again on the next step.
We (akhem...DH) added the lower hanging board from the hinges. All holes were marked and pre-drilled before hanging.
I couldn't be happier. Jake's "fishing" themed room is slowly taking shape. Next...the bed!
Come on in...